Monday, September 24, 2012

10 Things I will always love about Saudi!!

OK, so the year is almost coming to an end and I always feel a bit tearful about it all. I never thought I would be so into Saudi. Actually the past year I have been loving Saudi like my first child.
One thing that I appreciate about Saudi is that there is a balance between realness and pretentiousness and that is nice, because you can always decide which side of the fence you want to play.
So I decided to use my time constructively and come up with 10 things that I will always dig about this Dessert Cold Country.  Are you ready? Here we goo....


1. Mind your own damn business. That is the first thing I love about Saudi. No wonder the houses are surrounded by tall walls and gates that actually tell you "not invited".  I think some people from South Africa could take a page from this book. Mind your own business. Saudis love to mind their own business. Shopping isn't for socializing. Shop pay and go home.
Typical Saudi house. Don't look at the house, look at the wall!!


2. The Road is your playground. If you could find a country in the world that does not care about road signs, road rules or even seat belts. Come to Saudi. I mean how more explicit can I be...... U-Turns are actually allowed.   Never in my life have I seen cars drive so fast, so unorganized, but no one ever gets angry. That is what I love! Everyone is cool. Kids hanging outside the car waving at the passing cars and everyone is always in a hurry. I am not sure where in a hurry though........it is the desert.  When an accident happens, no one bursts into tears and cry like children.  As my mama would say "just walk it off". Saudis walk it off, leave the car on the side of the road and move on.
Seriously.....mafi mushkila


3. Ma fi Muskilaaa!!!! This phrase is the first phrace you need to learn when you here. It literally means "no problem."  Everything is mafi muskilaaa.  I remember the one time I got to the airport late and the gates where about to close and I thought that I will have to wip out tears to get in. I just said "I must go" and the guy was like "tamam, Ma fi Muskillah". The one time, my driver dropped my box and broke about 10 glasses in it. My response was "oh holy crap", his response was "ma fi muskilaaa".   So learn the phrase, love that phrase and live that phrase.
My favourite words!


4. Don't try too hard! The one thing I had to learn in Saudi is not to work too hard. It isn't good for your. Never in my life have I ever decided in the middle of the day I am fed up with work and I will just go home. However, in Saudi I did it and nobody said anything. Don't try too hard. The teachers that tried too hard never made it more than 6 months. Get the point!!



5. KABSAH MONSTERS. I love Kabsah to bits and I don't mind calling myself a Kabsah monster. However, physically I don't fit the profile. You see me and the other teacher we came up with a name of guys that looked too big in their thobes.  A thobe is the white dress the men wear. I love the thobe, but it only looks good on skinny and well built guys.  It looks dodgy on Kabsah Monsters guys, I mean it looks as if the stitching of the thobe will actually rip loose and hell will break loose.  However, I love the Kabsah Monsters, they remind me that life is good and that food is your friend.
Famous Kabsah! That rice is addictive!!














Second man from the right......Kabsah Monster.
6. Saudi Arabian Airlines. Honestly out of all the airlines in the world. I love Saudi Arabian Airlines. Ok, the planes might not be all that fancy but they can fly and stay up in the sky. However that is not why I love them. I love them, because it is the only airline that doesn't talk too much.
Literally, Saudi Airlines is all about: Sit down, shut up, buckle up, do a prayer and let's take off.  They don't have time to give you the temperature in the sky is 0 degrees....like it will make a difference in your life.  I love you  Saudi Airlines.


7. Saudi Students. I have never enjoyed teaching students as much as I have enjoyed teaching them here in Saudi. Saudi students are absolutely remarkable.  They all about taking it easy, life is too short and enjoy a chocolate and coffee. Sometimes Saudi students are so cute that they send you these weird love notes "you will always be in my heart" and all you can think of is "awkward, but cute".  Saudi students can fix any problem for you in matters of seconds. If you are thirsty they have a jug of coffee for you. If you feel a bit tense, they have all the chocolate in the world for you. If you feel you are about to explode, they will tell you "teacher, your health. Teacher Mafi mushkilaa, no problem teacher."   Also they love cheating even if it means to just make the teacher lose her mind.  They also enjoy playing practical jokes on each other. I have never laughed so hard, shouted so loud and loved so much as I did in my classrooms.

8. Camel love! By far the biggest treat for me in Saudi is seeing the camels. I love them to bits. They are cute, gentle and such posh animals. They have the cutest eye lashes, gorgeous long legs and enjoy walking as if they are doing the catwalk. These animals are so peaceful and just enjoy grazing and soaking up the desert sun. Never ever harm a camel, they only deserve to be loved. Mucccchhhhkkkksss!!!
Camel Kiss. They are too cute!


9. Being treated like a princess! If I ever have to leave Saudi I will for sure miss  being treated like a princess. I mean, in Saudi ,I have never carried my luggage.......NEVER!  There is always a guy chilling around carrying it for me. There is always someone even carrying the shopping bags.  I love this life!! All I have to do is pretend I am struggling and then all the shopkeepers come and give a lady a helping hand. However , I am not lazy. I do try to carry my own bags. But I was thinking, why fight it?Just enjoy it!


10. Last but not the least. the desert itself.  It is weird how one can get so captivated in the desert. The rippling hills of sand and the blue sky bringning the contrast is wonderful. What I have always enjoyed about Saudi are the warm nights. Just sitting outside, watching the shooting starts and enjoying the warmth. I love it.
Nothing beats sitting in the desert and drinking Arabic coffee



So, if you ever plan coming to Saudi and you're wondering if you will ever have entertainment. Don't worry, entertainment is everywhere, you just need that special third eyes to see it and quietly laugh inside.
I am fond about Saudi it will always be like my second home. Some people say it is boring and some say there is no freedom. I say, Saudi is the platform to make your own life entertaining without all the evils of the world. It forces you to be a bit more creative with your time and to really enjoy doing nothing.

For more tips and funnies about Saudi. Just holler. :) 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zahra,

    I have found your page by accident....but then i like to think that things are happening for reason:)

    I like your page and loved reading your articles. Please keep on adding new articles about your experiences and observations.
    People don't know much about Saudi Arabia and tend to judge too much about unknown.
    I was lucky to experience staying and working in Saudi Arabia for a little while as well. Even tho the culture is so different from our western life style(which can be very quick,stressful and artificial),I have fallen in with Saudi Arabian life style as well.There is many things we should think about ,change and learn from them.

    I look forwar reading new articles.

    Take care,
    B.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello B.x

    I am so happy reading your comment, it really makes it worth having this blog. I remember the first time I came to Saudi, I was really surprised how different things were from what people would say and comment about. I have been in Saudi for almost for almost 3 years and I love it. I love the simplicity, the fact that no one bothers anyone and how they enjoy life more than us. I most certainly enjoyed the stress free life, the fact that it is okay to just take a seat and enjoy a fresh cup of Arabic coffee without always being in a rush for work and so. Unfortunately I am leaving Saudi soon and my heart breaks. If I get the chance in life to teach here and live here again, I would drag my husband with. Thanks for your support. Regard, Zahra

    ReplyDelete