Saturday, November 12, 2011

A mighty experience for Eid Adha this year!

Sunrise in Skakah
I haven't blogged in a long time due to not many things happening in my life. I am actually glad for that. I think that life doesn't always have to be filled with drama and excitement. It makes me look forward to drama and excitement when I am deprived from it.

The most exciting thing that happened this past week was the Eid Adha (sacrificial eid).  I knew that I couldn't go on the Hajj this year and therefore made an intention to perform the sacrificial eid and to submit myself to my Lord. I can't describe the amazing blessing that came with it, because it was my first sacrifice ever, Sabhan'Allah, it was amazing;
On the day of Eid, I woke up really early and washed up and put on my best abaya and my best perfume. It was absolutely exciting for me. I got on to the bus and greeted all the other Muslims and each of us spoke blessing to each other for Eid. As we were driving, the sun was rising, it was absolutely beautiful. It looked like a sparkling grape fruit that effortlessly hanged on the canvas of the blue morning. I am always amazed at how clear the sun is in Saudi, you literally don't need a watch to know when to do salat, you can figure it out by looking at the movement of the sun.
We went to a newly built mosque in Gara. It has a big beautiful bronze dome and the building appears to be modern. The parking area was full of cars. Women and men dressed in their best atire came to do their Eid salat together. As I was walking towards the mosque,  one Saudi gentleman was walking behind me holding his  sweetest son and reciting "Allahu Akbar". It was really pleasing to hear.
As we got to the ladies' section, I actually whispered "Sabhan'Allah", because it was jam packed. I mean, there was no space to even stretch too far. The children were running around with baskets filled with sweets and chocolates handing it out to the ladies. I stood next to an old lady who quietly gave me an eid salutation. The Imam commenced the prayer. I can't really describe how wonderful it is to do a prayer with everyone and we all turn our faces towards the Kabah and worshipping the same Lord. That is always so emotional for me, so my tears were streaming down and I just knew that I was in the right place. All my life I was looking for the right place, and never would have though I would end up in a mosque in Skakah. Sabhan'Allah.
After the eid prayer, the Imam made a beautiful du'a and we all proceeded home.

The following day, me and my driver made time to go to the sheep market to go buy my sheep. I was pretty much excited.I remember last eid that I helped my brother to do his sacrifice, which was a blessing, because I didn't know that this year I would be doing mine.

 I haven't seen any  farms while I have been staying here. So we drove all the way to the farm area. There was a large number of camel farms. The camels were just chilling and snacking on some grass. I just love this animal, because it is so calm.
Eventually we got to the sheep farms. There were soo many cars and trucks, men buying their sheep and putting them in the car (yes, only in Saudi you will literally put a sheep in a car...at the backseat). I couldn't get out of the car, because there were literally no women there and it would just look awkward standing there in my abaya glory. All I told them was that I want a healthy goat or sheep that have all his limbs.
It is important that Muslims only sacrifice lawful animals. If an animal is missing an ear, you can't sacrifice it. If it is looking sickly and lifeless then you can't sacrifice it either. So, it is important to sacrifice good animals, since they have to be halaal to consume them .
Manoor at the sheep market
I saw one beautiful sheep. He was just standing in the middle of  the land, away from the other sheep. I am not sure if he was a smart or just a brave sheep, because, when the guy came to fetch him, while all the other sheep were running towards the corner, he was just chilling on the same spot. Didn't move an inch. I loved him so much, I called him Mansoor.
We got Mansoor into the car and drove him to the slaughter house. While I was sitting in the car, I just made a du'a and intention to sacrifice him. As we got to the slaughter house and then I saw the blood, I almost collapsed. I was about to ask the butcher to do it for me. However, my senses kicked in and I decided to just suck it up and do it.
Mansoor wasn't much of protestor, he just kinde layed there looking at me with those eyes "please just get it over with".  I said "Bismillah Rahmanir Raheem, Allahu Akbar" and did it. It wasn't of a bigger deal as I thought. It was easy, painless and efficient. Soon, he was skinned and cut into pieces.
I am not much of a red meat eater, so I took a small amount of meat for myself, the rest I gave to the Muslim workers at our area and friends.  Mansoor became my lamb curry :) , which tasted great. Alhamdulilah.
Lamb curry :) Alhamdulilah.

Eid is a miraculous day for all Muslims as it is a tester of faith..submission to God. It travels back to the story of Ibrahim who had to sacrifice his own son. However, God saw Ibrahim's submission and love for God, that God sent down a goat for him to sacrifice instead of his son. Can you imagine, that every fibre of Ibrahim was believing in God so much that he carried out the hardest command from God. I know for sure and I am sure you know too that if God had to ask you to give up a child, you wouldn't be able to. Our dear Lord gave us so much mercy and love that he has made Islam easy for us to follow. So Eid is actually a blessing to every single Muslim who truly believes that it symbolizes their submission to Allah.

Honestly I encourage all Muslims to follow the Hadith and Qu'ran and not to fall into the traps of today  where people try to convince us that the act of Sacrifice (Qurban) is out dated. Ask yourself, is Allah out dated? Is your religious out dated? No, it i not! Allah is our beginning and our end and therefore we should fulfill what has been commanded to us. We should not let the outside world determine our solid faith towards our Lord.
With Eid come many blessing. It is food for those that don't have, it helps us remember to turn our faces towards our Lord. It reminds us to be thankful for everything that we have in this world and pray for a better life after this world.

So, I hope that all Muslims had a fantastic Eid and may it bring Barakah to you and your family! Those that went on Hajj, may Allah accept it and answer your prayers!

"And be steadfast, Allah does not let the wage of good-doers go to waste. " (Surah, Hud 115)


No comments:

Post a Comment