Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Car crashes and broken phones

It has been a while since I wrote something on my blog. I guess I was waiting for something dramatic to happen in my very monotone life that I am living here in the desert. And guess what?? Something dramatic did happen!!

My brother got into a really bad car accident/crash. Now, at first when I received the message I was in absolute panic. I mean, this is my brother from another mother, so I do care if this boy gets into any kind of trouble.
However, he was fine, since he got to message me on "whatssap" and at the same time got the chance to send me a photo of the car wreck!! Before national news heard about it, I already got pictures!
After all of this drama I started thinking of how different reactions are from different countries when it comes to car crashes. I will use South Africa (my homeland) and Saudi (my current residency) as comparisons.

Firstly, In South Africa,  you DON'T want to get into a car accident. It is not about the lives that are lost and deeper things like that. It is about the CAR INSURANCE. Nothing fears or get South Africans in a frenzy than insurance...and remember,Insurance is just there "if" something happens to you.
Also most accidents in South Africa are caused by hesitation! Believe it or not!! We don't really drive that fast , but we still make a lot of car accidents, due to hesitation.
Secondly most of them are under the influence of alcohol or drugs. So, car crashes will happen.
Now the reaction is really different. When a car accident happens in S.A, you better be praying that someone will stop and help your ass out. Secondly, make sure that someone is smart enough to write the idiot's number plate who crashed in to you. The police will be there in no time (30 minutes min) and soon the lies will start. I was involved in a car crash and I know the lies that go with it. After all, who wants to lose their insurance right??? That is the most important thing in the world!!!   The bystanders at the accident, they just look at you with folded arms and offer you no bubalicious. Yes! No tea, no coffee, no "can I drive you home", the police won't even drive your ass home. The best reaction you will get from the bystanders are "mmm,so what are you going to do?" Eventually your car will be scrapped off, you will have to start using nasty public transport, you will lose your girlfriend, cause you just dropped from a hero to a zero. Really, car accidents in South Africa will dent your social and economic standards. So avoid it at all times!!!

Now, in Saudi it is pretty different. I live in Saudi so no one can tell me any different. I have a good eye for observing strange things. Especially in the town I live accidents are so random....you can't believe it.
First of all, you would be surprised at how many accidents in Saudi happen on their own. No other car involved!! Now, how do you make an accident by yourself? Secondly there is no alcohol here, so you can't even blame it on the a-a-a-a-a-alcohol!!.  How will you explain it to yourself?
Now the reactions are amazing. When an accident occurs. Every Saudi man will stop his car and go help. I mean, the road will be full of cars even though most of them can't help, but they will offer help anyways.
The car is in the worse condition ever. I mean the roof is even gone!  Everyone will offer you some serious bubalicious! They will offer you tea ,coffee, chocolate (a favourite one), milk, date, water, bandage, whatever your heart desires.  Secondly, the boy who is involved in the accident and has made it alive will just be grateful to the Lord above. Most of the times, the Saudis are so calm, they will often crack a joke with the accident. I mean how do you laugh after you just rolled about 10 times in your car??? Well, in Saudi that is possible.
 Secondly, the police will be very nice to you, often referring to you as "habibi" (dear/love) and soon everything is qalas (finish).
Of course people will ask the Saudi brother what exactly happened. His reply would be "I was busy on the internet and whatssaping friends." Then it will be a laughing orchestra. I have to say, when my brother did send me the message that he was in an accident, the shock soon became a conversation that was consumed with fits of laughter. "Alhamdulilah that I am still alive" , is the only thing any Saudi dude will be thinking.

Isn't iy amazing how we take measures to be safe in the car. Have your seat belt on, don't drink and drive, don't play on your mobile while driving. When accidents happen we blame the activity the person was busy with that caused the accident. What happened to....It was his time to exit this world. All we should do is just hope that we will be meeting each other on the other side.

I know that it isn't good to find the comedy of this particular subject since we lose many people on the road. However, we need to also know that no measures we take can actually save us. If it is not you causing the accident, it will definitely be that other person who didn't obey the road rules.

What is the conclusion of it all........"well shit happens."


No comments:

Post a Comment