Thursday, October 20, 2011

Just Dip- Dip it in Chocolate

I know what you all thinking that I will be metaphorically speaking of how wonderful black women are...like chocolate.
Actually no. I am writing about a revolution that has occured in Skakah Al Jouf!! Finally Jouf has a mall (can I hear a round of applause). Comparing it to a mall back home, it would only get the title "plaza", but hey, let's not be negative. It is a a  beautiful thing. Also, in this mall there is a food section. Wait for it!! Where women can chill with a cup of coffee!!
Now you know where my pay check is going.
First of all I believe it is a revolution, because we can finally move out of boredom to actually living a bit. The mall is fantastic and has wonderful shops that can make Europe bleed. My favourite shop is Msiki, which mostly gets its clothes from Turkey. So, their fashion is really good. Like any other mall in Saudi, it is also packed with perfume shops. I really like them! Any perfume you desire you will find it right here.
My favourite part of the mall is the food section. I am really happy that as a woman I can go and have a cup of coffee and unwind a little. There are two coffee shops at the food section. The one is called "Dip", and the other one is called "Thank you Mr. Coffee".  I like them both and they are equally unique.
I love Dip for the pure fact it is all about chocolate. They even have chocolate fountains. In my world I would just swim in there. The great thing about Dip is that where ever women sit, they just get a big partition so that no can see you while you stuff your face with chocolate. To be honest, the one thing that I love about Saudi is the fact that you can eat in private while you are in public. I love the family sections. I enjoy having a big curtain around me, to take my niqab off and to relax without anyone staring at my face. The menu at Dip is wonderful. They have all the coffees you desire, just make sure to say "no sugar please" as they love adding sugar for you. I had a nice cup of late, which was perfect and had a heart shape on it and a crepe stuffed with a brownie. I know it sounds impossible. They actually make the crepe, then put a brownie in and wrap it up. If that is not chocolaty enough, they drizzle, white, brown and dark brown chocolate on top of it. Can you say decadent??
The service at Dip is average. You must make sure to remind them once in a while that you are waiting for coffee. Other than that, the people that work there are great and can speak English.
Even if you want to enjoy a cup of Americano with a Marlboro cigarette, you can have it. I am not joking. You can huff and puff your way in there.

The other coffee shop is Thank you Mr Coffee. Now the title does sound a bit too long winded and childish, but the service and the food are off the hook. I love the decor of the place and also the variety of teas they have.
Their family section is much better than Dip's, purely because it is more spacious and they have luxurious couches.
Their coffee is good. I had a Turkish coffee there that was sweet, and ordered one of my favourite sweets Cinnabun!! Their cinnabuns are always fresh, and they add walnuts and cardamon in them. I would advice them to take the cardamon out and leave the nuts.
Anyhow, they have a good selection of Greenfield teas and their service is pretty awesome. The staff can't speak English at all. So you must learn to say "wahad cinnabun, wahad kafee". However, they are very kind and sensitive towards women. They are vibrant aswell. If you are not into coffees and teas and would like more of a cold dessert, they have a wide selection of ice-creams. I would recommend you to try the mango ice-cream which is really nice.

Near the food sections there is a nice play area for kids to go and enjoy themselves while the mom can sit for a while.
Jouf is pretty conservative, so try not to take your niqab off if you are not in the family section, you will find people staring at you.
However, I am glad that I could go out and do what I do best. Sit, Relax and enjoy a cup of coffee.

At the moment there are many more shops opening up at Jouf and I see that the construction is taking shape. Who knows maybe in 10 years time, Jouf will be like Riyadh.



No comments:

Post a Comment