Thursday, December 8, 2011

My journey to the holy city!- My first Umrah

The Ka'bah
This past week has been by far the most amazing week of my life. For the first time, in my Muslims life I got the chance to go to the Holy City Makkah and do my Ummrah.

I have been planning to go for a year, and finally did it. I was planning to go, but was absolutely scared,because I would be going alone and I know how crowded that place can be..Sabhan' Allah, it is crowded, people busy with their Lord.
I remember making du'a asking Allah to make it easy on me. It was my first time. I had to go and read and learn about how to do Ummrah, how to be in the sate of Ihram, which du'as to recite and Surah's to memorize. I was freaking out thinking, how will I do this all alone. Then one night on the bus I spoke to a Muslim brother, telling him that I am planning to go for Ummrah. Right there my prayer was answered! He was like "sister, I am going this following week, come with me."It felt like Allah took that heavy rock of worry off my shoulder.

I remember the night before we left, I decided to pack light. I only took a small backpack with not much in it but one day's of clothing and cleaning stuff. I couldn't wrap the idea around my head that I was finally going to see the Holy City. So, I was pretty stoked, shocked, nervous with an empty bag going to Makkah with a heart full of hope.

I washed myself, packed up and was ready to go. The flight was really good and soon we flew over the holy area. Now, as soon as the planes fly over the Holy City, the flight attendance usually notify those that are going to take Ummrah to commence their Al Talbiyah. This is where one enters the state of Ihram and announced Labayk Alluma Labayk.... (I am here Allah, I am here). When we landed, my Muslim brother had organised someone to pick us up and drive us to Makkah.
As we were driving, I kept reciting my Al Talbiyah and reciting some du'as that I could remember. We were driving in the middle of the night, so I couldn't see the road so clearly. However, as soon a I saw the big Qu'ran that formed a bridge over the road, my heart skipped a beat. I couldn't keep myself together and started crying. I couldn't famish in myself that I was actually going to be walking on the same path that Abraham (pbuh), Mohammed (pbuh) and other prophets walked on. This is the city that was mentioned in the Bible and that is mentioned in the Qu'ran. The place where all Muslims come together as one ro do acts of worships.Even the Muslim brother turned around and asked me "Zimmy are you ok?". I said a quiet "yes".

The dark shadows of the mountains fell on the well-lit roads. Everywhere was a message either saying "Allahu Akbar" or "Bismillah". As soon as we got to Makkah. We decided to do our ummrah immediately. It was about 2:00 in the morning. We arrived at the Masjid Al-Haram and my eyes were just glued to the beauty of this beloved Mosque. It is HUGE! I mean, it is just HUGE.
Masjid Al Haram at 2:00 in the morning

Even though it was 2:00 in the morning, it was still busy. Children running around, people walking in and out. As soon as we got inside I lowered my gaze. I walked in with a heart full of love and hope. As soon as my eyes laid on the Ka'bah, I think for a split second that I was about to just faint or something. This is what I looked forward to for the past years. I have heard of this place, seen pictures of it and now for the first time I was going to actually see it with my own eyes.
My Muslim brother was telling me, that one should start walking around the Kabah and as soon a you see the black stone you should say "Bismillah, Allahu Akbar three times" So we started walking. It was amazing to see so many different people doing the same thing. We could spot the Turks, cause they were all dressed the same and uttering Turkish. As soon as I saw the black stone ,I did my Bismillah Allahu Akbar three times and then burst into tears.
I was lucky enough to move closer and closer to the Kabah and finally got to touch it. I rested my head against it and prayed everything that was held up in my heart. Everything that I was worried about, about my family, about my future, about things I fear and things I love.
I would like to stress out that the Ka'bah and the Black Stone are not objects of worship. Muslims don't travel around the world to come and worship these things. The Ka'bah was build by Abraham (pbuh) and Ismael after Allah ordered Abraham to do so. It is a symbol of Muslims coming together in one place, in the middle of the world (scientifically Makkah is in the centre of the world) to worship Allah alone at this place. It is an opportunity for Muslims from different cultures, statuses and races to come together and worship and to see what those before us did in the name of Allah. The Blackstone and the Ka'bah Must not be worshiped or be seen as an idols, otherwise it would take us right out of Islam. It is only a given proof that Allah exists. Only by sight of what has been left for us, can we comprehend how these prophets had (pbut) faith in Allah.

 I was so overwhelmed that I felt numb. When we finished doing the Tawaf, I did the prayer of Ibrahim, drank some Zam Zam water and made my way to Mount Safaa. Now, mount Safa plays a significant role. You do a 7 round walk between Mount Safaa and Mount Marwa.
Sai- walking between Mount Safa and Marwa

The story goes a follows. When Abraham (pbuh) had Hagar, he sent her to the desert with his son Ismael. At that time Ismael was still suckling from his mother's breast. Hagar asked Abraham why did he send them away and into a place that was dry and was desolated. He didn't answer. She asked Him if Allah commanded him to do so. He said yes. She accepted this. Abraham (pbuh) left Hagar with a skin of water. She drank from the water and Ismael continued suckling. However, the water was up and Hagar got stressed out, since they had no water and the desert was a harsh place. So. She left Ismael under a tree and started looking around trying to see if there was someone who could help them. She ran between Mount Safaa and Mount Marwa 7 times trying to find water or trying to find someone to help them. The seventh time she ran up the mountain, she saw an angel in the distance. The Angel struck his wing or heel on rock/sand hill and water gushed out. Hagar got some water and replenished herself and continued to feed Ismael. From that day, that water is still running and it is called Zam Zam water. So, during Ummrah and Hajj, we have to do the Sai, walking 7 times between Mount Safaa and Marwa. When one reaches the hill top of these mountains, we should say Allahu Akbar three times and make a special dua and then make as many du'as as  one desires. You can pray about your family, job, children, marriage, happiness, health and wealth..as long as it is good.
After that men should shave their hair and women only cut a finger tip length of the hair and the Ummrah is completed. Alhamdulilah
When I was walking up and down the two mountains, I had my Qu'ran in my hand and the pages of Surah Al Baqarah opened up. It took me to the last part of this Surah where Allah says: (2:286 ) "Allah does not charge a soul except (with that within) its capacity. It will have (the consequences of ) what (good) it has gained, and it will bear (the consequences of) what (evil) it has earned. "Our Lord, does not impose blame upon us, if we have forgotten or erred. Our Lord, and lay not upon us a burden like that which You laid upon those before us. Our Lord, and burden us not with that which we have no ability to l bear. And pardon us; and forgive us; and have mercy upon us. You are our protector, so give us victory over the disbelieving people,"

While I was reading that I realised that Allah will never let you down. He will never give you more than you can handle. I read this and I looked at my life. Nothing has killed me. Nothing. Even during the times where I thought to just give up, I didn't. I held on so tightly to what I believe that I finally made my way to worship my Lord in the most beautiful mosque. That mosque is protected by the Mercy of the Almighty and it is a place of peace and I hope many Muslims get to see what I saw and to experience what I have experienced there.

When I finished my Ummrah and clipped my hair. I decided the following day I will make another Ummrah but on my own. And so I did. It was really the best thing ever. I enjoyed and appreciated every part of it. Most of all, I enjoyed coming to the place where we are all sent to go to. I appreciated circulating for my Lord.
I appreciated being among other Muslims from different cultures, creeds and backgrounds doing the same thing and worshiping one God. Alhamdulilah.

I was really blessed to see Makkah. The people there are so kind and speak words of kindness. It was nice, stepping into a taxi and the taxi driver saying "Bismillah" ,before taking off. It was nice hearing beautiful conversations. Most of all, Makkah is spectacular. The rocky mountains that surrounds the city, hotels being build on rock edges and mountains. The streets that were filled with boys riding their bikes, kidding around and enjoying their time together. The Saudis and the people there are different. They even look different. Everyone is relaxed and taking life as it comes.
Do you see how tall these hotels are???

In the morning when we were making our way back to the airport. I could see how the mountains rippled through the city. There were small Bedouin tents scattered all over. I love seeing that. I really do! I would see a shepherd herding his sheep and near the area there would be a steep hill. I also saw so many camels there. You all know how much I love that animal. That is the most beautiful animal ever.
On our way, the taxi driver was speaking about the signs of the time (Judgement Day). My Muslim brother translated it to me. He said that we are so near that time. One of the signs are seeing the mountains of Makkah being slaughtered like camels. Which is true. The beautiful mountains are being pounded down for new hotels to be built on. Tall sky scrapers being built and no one really knows why so high? Also, women not fearing (respecting) themselves anymore. Women not wearing their niqab or their hijabs anymore. It saddened me a little how much we are moving away from what was prescribed for us and those before us.

I took another look at the back window of the taxi to have one more glimpse of Makkah. It felt like home being there. Nothing was strange, nothing was unfamiliar. Everything fell into place and it was a remarkable experience.
I made an intention to go again...soon. Inshallah, I will go again and again. If I marry, I would love to go with my husband and my children and my mother and my brother (Inshallah they will also become a Muslim).
That is an experience its price unmeasured, its worth unknown and its hight can't be taken.

Praises be to Allah.




2 comments:

  1. Awwww babes, I'm so glad to read how you felt. It truly is amazing and only those who have been for Umrah and Hajj understand. I cant wait to go again. Maybe we can go together some day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes sure we should go, and we must take Erica with us. Inshallah soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete